I Am My Brother’s Keeper
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., in keeping with its commitment to President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper Initiative, proudly introduces its I Am My Brother’s Keeper program for 2014-15. Through this program, the Fraternity will adopt a 10-point agenda to address issues impacting men of color in our communities.
- Unveil the Sigma Beta Club’s experiential learning curriculum, Rise and Thunder, during the Congressional Black Caucus. This program is designed to help African-American youth realize their full potential in life.
- Increase the membership of participants in the youth auxiliary program, Sigma Beta, by 20% by 2015.
- Educate 10,000 African American males on the essentials of being engaging and effective mentors to African-American youth, while successfully establishing relationships that will increase community awareness of the potential of our youth and the power of diversity.
- Target Congressional leaders in at least 10 states to support the following legislation:
- National Criminal Background Check System
- Repeal the Gun Show Loophole Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986
- Train and educate 5000 men in the March of Dimes curriculum Building Strong Fathers
- Adopt at least 100 schools throughout the United States, with the purpose of building student literacy and encouraging the student population to work towards closing the academic & achievement gaps that currently exist.
- Provide $1,000,000 in scholarships to men of color
- Sponsor two job fairs throughout the country, providing employment opportunities and training to men of color.
- Sponsor a Business Expo at Phi Beta Sigma’s 2015 Conclave in Little Rock, Arkansas, exposing small businesses and employers to at least 10,000 consumers and job seekers throughout the nation.
- Secure state, federal, corporate and private funding and partnerships to support I Am My Brother’s Keeper, particularly in the following manners:
- Entrepreneurial Development of African-American males
- Alternative Sanction Programs for Juvenile Offenders
- Sigma Beta Club Programming
- Disparaging Drop-out rates of our young men of color
- Technology for security in and around our schools to curb gun violence